Create your DNA kit at home
The Material for a Home Kit
To make your kit, nothing could be simpler and you can find everything at home. You need :
- From a new cotton swab box
- A pair of gloves
- A pair of scissors
- Two table glasses - one per participant -
- A large envelope
- Two small envelopes - one per participant -
- A printer or something to print your documents
The use of an oral swab is not mandatory but strongly recommended if possible.
You can also send non-standard samples like hair, nails, handkerchief, toothbrush ...
Please note that the non-standard sample is an option for your test, this alternative will represent an additional cost
As a precaution, all participants should have their mouths clean before the oral swabs.
You should not eat an hour before and you must rinse your mouth with lukewarm water before starting the sampling. Do not use mouthwash or toothpaste. Do not smoke.
Step 1 :
Write the participants' information on the small envelopes - 1 envelope per participant -
- Last name and first name
- Date of Birth
- Relationship (Father, Mother, Child, Sister, Brother, Uncle, Aunt ...)
- Type of sample (Oral samples or Non-standard sample: Hair, Nail ...)
2nd step :
Take a pair of gloves and a pair of scissors and a table glass.
- Open the box of clean stems
- Remove a cotton swab
- Cut one end with the scissors
- With the remaining part, rub the cotton against the inside of your cheek, tongue, gums
- Do this for 1 minute
- Place the cotton swab in the glass - cotton side up -
- Let the cotton swab dry for at least 1 hour - more if necessary -
Follow the procedure 4x for each participant and do not mix the samples between the participants
During this time you can order your DNA test on the laboratory website.
- When ordering on the internet please specify that you wish to make your own DNA kit at home.
- Open a file with the laboratory to obtain a customer number
- Request that the consent form sent to you by email
- As well as the postal address to send your samples
- You have the option to pay on order or when your samples have arrived at the laboratory
Now that your samples are dry.
All you have to do is wait for confirmation of receipt by email
Are the participants far away?
Are the DNA test participants geographically distant? No problem, follow our guide which explains the different options that laboratories offer in this situation . It is quite possible to take samples remotely and send them each to your own . The laboratory can then do the DNA test once all the samples have arrived at the laboratory.
Why create your DNA kit?
In an Emergency !
You do not have time to wait for the reception of a kit to take the sample. One of the participants is only available for a certain time take the lead and follow the instructions to create your own DNA kit at home.
The participants are far away !
If a person is in a remote country where it is difficult or too expensive to receive the DNA kit from the laboratory. Avoid spending more money, it makes more sense to follow the DNA kit method at home in order to send your samples directly to the laboratory without waiting for the reception of a test which may never arrive.
Making your home kit brings a lot of advantage to the success of your online test. It allows you to get organized without having to wait for a kit to be dispatched which may never arrive. In the face of last-minute unforeseen events, you have the possibility of making every effort to take samples in accordance with the analyzes. For more security, you will proceed to payment once the laboratory has received your samples.
During a DNA test, you have the option of using several types of samples. Choosing the sample is an important step in doing a DNA test . In general, laboratories recommend the use of oral swabs. But depending on the situation it can be difficult and the choice of another type of sample should be considered. But be careful, there are conditions to be respected so that the sample provides enough genetic information for your DNA test .
1 hour minimum